Being that Gilles Law handles both criminal defense and family law, from time to time, we are asked the question, “Do I still have to pay child support if I’m in jail?” The answer to this question is not always simple and the purpose of this entry is to discuss a parent’s obligation to pay child support pursuant to a court order when that parent has been incarcerated.

What Does NC Law Say?

North Carolina General Statutes § 50-13.10 states that a child support payment is not considered to be past due and that no arrearages accrue if the party who has to pay child support is incarcerated, is not on work release, and has no resources with which to make the child support payment. What this means is that even if a supporting parent has been incarcerated, they must be able to show proof that they do not have the financial means to provide timely child support payments during their incarceration. 

Contempt for Failure to Pay Child Support

If a supporting parent has failed to pay child support for a prolonged period of time and the court is convinced of their failure to pay child support, the supporting parent could be found to be in contempt. If found to be in contempt, the supporting parent could be incarcerated for their failure to pay child support. If a supporting parent is incarcerated for their failure to pay support, they may want to seek a child support modification action in family court to review their support obligation.

Consider setting up a consultation with a family law attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We invite your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Call Now Button